Design and Technolgy
Design and Technology (DT) is the process of designing, making and evaluating products fit for a
purpose. At Baring Primary School we believe that D.T. involves applying creative solutions
to solve practical problems and teach D.T. with the aim of enabling children to:
- Develop a range of practical skills working with a wide range of materials and components.
- Understand control systems, energy and structures.
- Develop an awareness of the impact of technology and its contribution to the quality of life.
- Gain a sense of fulfilment and pleasure in designing and making products
- Develop a technological capability essential for our technological society.
The National Curriculum for Design and Technology
The National Curriculum strands by year group for Design and Technology can be seen in this document here and you can also view the National Curriculum Programe of Study for DT here.
The school runs Design and Technology weeks, which allow children time to fully focus on a
project from the initial idea to the evaluation of the finished product.
DT Week 3rd-7th June 2013
All the classes took part in a very successful DT Week - PE Bag Making Project.
Each child had to research, design, use appropriate tools, create a paper pattern (prototype), then evaluate it to make improvements.
Finally they had to adapt their paper pattern to product a serviceable, individual and creative finished product using fabrics of their choice.
The finished products were astounding!
Chanel, Louis Vitton and Versace Beware !!!